Monday, June 3, 2019

Final Project Proposal

Topic: "Who are my classmates?"
I love the idea of teaching color blindness, but also using this time with my class to encourage the kids to ask more about their culture, learn about themselves, and educate the class.

Articles: - "Colorblindness is the New Racism" By: Margalynne J. Armstrong and Stephanie M. Wildman

-"Inclusivity is Not A Guessing Game" by Chelsea Vaught

Who I will Teach:
All 5 students in my class, here are the demographics:
Name:
Grade:
Gender:
Age:
“Y”
1
F
7
“A”
1
M
7
“Ca”
2
M
8
“Cl”
1
M
7
“I”
1
M
7
How:
I plan on breaking this project up into two parts. First, I want to interview each student, asking them to give 3 words to describe the other 4 students in the class. I don't want to give them much to work with because I genuinely want to see what they will say when asked the question, "How would you describe ____?" Once that is done, I will introduce the second part of this project to them. I will be assigning them a project to bring home to interview their families, and learn more about their culture or family background, or learn for the first time it, for that matter. From there, they will be returning to class with the information and they will be instructed to share out something about their family and what they learned. Once they have shared, I will re-do the 3 describing words activity with each of them. I want to use the data I have collected to have a group discussion about people's culture, backgrounds, ethnicities, family type, etc, and relate it back to Armstrong and Wildman and how colorblindness is not the answer. We should be celebrating what makes us unique, not pretending that we are all the same. I think that sharing the changes I note in their answers will be interesting to them and I feel like my group could really learn a lot from this.

1 comment:

  1. As I shared in class, I think you have a great idea here. And yet it feels like the part of the project that is more valuable is the family interviews rather than the three words about each other. I just don't think that you are going to move them developmentally from the "nice" "pretty" "kind" language of early childhood. But you can spend some time modeling the interview process and teaching them how to ask their families questions. From this you will learn a LOT!! Let me know if you want to talk more.

    ReplyDelete

Reflection

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vjoooTwHjOr8rYjKg_Vy0gpAhb9RdcFgLQtyNuEnrII/edit?usp=sharing